Agreed =)

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 7:34 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Adoption of RPG OA (Summary)

Mihael

I suspect we are agreeing violently - that was what someone said when 2
people were saying similar things but did not know it!!

One of the issues raised by you and Joe is over using opcodes as you
expect them to. I think this is a matter of style - there is the sense
of purity, too, but IBM already gave us SPECIAL files, where a READ does
not have to be done against only a PF or LF. I don't find that to be a
problem, actually, I see it as an opportunity for more flexibility and
reach to sources of data that are less traditional, which the present
world not puts before us.

So I guess if you don't want to use "standard" opcodes in somewhat
"unusual" ways, I can see that. Again, for me, the use of CHAIN to
retrieve the temperature in a city from a web service is so simple to
code, and it is still asking for information from a data source, based
on a "key" value. Our definitions will vary here, I think, and we will
find a way to live together in this - I've not exactly helped in that
way, perhaps!

I find the pseudo-code as you presented it to be more complex. It is
something I am used to, for it is very much like SQL CLI, where you
declare handles - not handlers, right? - for connections and statements,
etc. That's fine, and for many, that is the way to go. For others,
they'd like a solution with fewer lines of code and no nested function
calls.

So if one extends the definition of a CHAIN opcode, then OA is not a
problem. And one DOES need to allow a broader, more inclusive definition
for a CHAIN, now. Or perhaps one broadens the definition of a "file". I
see a similar thing in file descriptors for IFS files - the same pool of
descriptors is also used for sockets. Data is available from both.

You can see that I like to find precedence for something new. Perhaps I
operate in a more general way, while you like to work with more specific
things.

As to learning new things - this is a good thing. I was just talking to
another developer here today. He mentioned a fellow who was very
intelligent and would have liked very much to study the newest tools and
techniques. He also had to get a job done. For him, it was a choice -
take some time that he did not have, or use tools he knows, and be sure
to satisfy a customer or client. I have the luxury of working where I am
supposed to look into new ways of doing things. I also don't have a
family that needs much of my attention. So my free time goes to getting
a book on Visual Basic in 21 Days or the like. Not everyone has that luxury.

The man I was talking to - he has a list of things he wants to learn -
one is HTML. There are many other topics on that list. He has not been
able to get to them all yet. So he uses what he knows for now, and will
get to other things as he can.

This is why I just can't criticize these developers too much, and I
guess I try to defend them. Should they learn new things? Yes, of
course. Do they want to? Many do, some don't. Can they? Not always, and
for many reasons.

I wish life were as simple as I'd like to make it at times. It's easier,
for example, to think that you and I can't agree on things here. That is
just not the case, and I look forward to more conversations, maybe with
some heat, but helpful in the end. We both feel strongly about our
positions, maybe that is as it should be for the good of us all.

Regards
Vern