Hi Aaron,

I think that you misunderstod me, the java syntax should only be an
alternative to the free format as a syntax - off couse it should be
compiled ad bot fixed and free format.

By having the capability to code compilable code in javascript syntax
YIP's could use their skills to code in "RPG" much easier and RPG
programmers could adobt to this format maybee going from fixed format
to script format (skipping free format) and reuse their new skills
when making javasript in webpages.

Regards
Henrik

Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
28-07-2010 18:24
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"RPG programming on the IBM i / System i" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Future of RPG was: Open Access for RPG

Hi Henrik,

I know Javascript but can't speak for other YiPs. As soon as you have
to start explaining to somebody new to RPG all of the history of why
you shouldn't use fixedform/indicators/etc, in my mind you have lost
the battle. I am not opposed to leaving fixedform capabilities in the
language and only teach free form, but I believe there needs to be a
100% free form version.

Concerning putting Javascript right in the RPG code, I don't think
that is a good idea. That is putting the UI render language into the
back-end server language, and while I don't consider myself a purist,
I also don't like the extent of that recommendation of having the UI
layer leak that much into the controller layer. But maybe that is
just me.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/