Jon,

IceCap has nothing to do with Zend. IceCap is an advanced 5250 ExtJS
emulator.

System & Method who makes this product has also IceBreak - a development
framework with its own HTTP server.

System & Method and my company and a couple of others tried together to
make a framework in 2008.

The project failed due to lack of efficiency and was terminated late 2008.

They started to make IceCap, I started to make powerEXT making the best
of what a failure in reality are - a learning experience on how not to
do.

The real problem was that we where trying to just build on what everybody
else was doing (the discurse) - you may call it "trying to make a
evolution"
where you in fact - if you want to make real progress must "try to make a
revolution".

If you are going to replace 500 5250 online programs with only a perfor-
mance gain on 5% over coding the programs in 5250 - you will end up with
a project that will take you years and cost you millions of dollars.

But can you do 95% of the programs in only 2-3 months it is a feasable
road. The main problem here is not to se programming in a WYSIWYG kind
of way - it's simply to slow - you have to se software development in
the massproduction perspective where massproduction is feasable.

Mass production has it's price - there will be no Rolls Royces with
speciallized custom made enterior a employee has used 100 hours to
refine - but the will be Volkswagens that will do the job in a
reasonable quality.

And that is what powerEXT is about.

Henrik

Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
29-07-2010 19:13
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: Future of RPG was: Open Access for RPG

I'm not sure there's any connection between Zend Bridge and IceCap.
IceCap is pretty new and Zend Bridge has been around for a couple of
years. From the web pages it doesn't seem to work anything like Zend
Bridge does.

I know Zend are planning upgrades - maybe that is where IceCap fits in?

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com