Scott Klement wrote:

(confused)

What the heck does the system name from either QWCRNETA or QWCRSSTS have
to do with e-mail? Are you confusing the system name with the TCP/IP
domain name?

Not I - I didn't write it. I'm just stuck trying to clean up the mess.
This is some kind of shareware/freeware stuff that developers at my
employer obtained long before I arrived there. The application composes a
sender address for inclusion in a MIME file (to be processed by the
QTmmSendMail) API in the format [1]username@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx It
calls QWCRSSTS to obtain the system name. All of these e-mails are sent
internally. The application is used to send spool files and/or data
files; the data files might be sent as .xls or .csv.

I have no interest in arguing the merits of the application design. In
fact, I hate the application and want to ditch it - it was cobbled
together by developers who are no longer with the company, was never
documented, so it's unsupported, and we have a commercial product that
does the same functions and is fully supported by the vendor. All I know
is, the application used to work, when it came to retrieving the system
name, and now it doesn't.

To get the domain name for e-mail, you should use the gethostname() API
documented here:

[2]http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/apis/ghostn.htm

Not helpful to someone who doesn't know C.