Hi Jon,

You say the system CCSID is 37. Can I assume that the job's code page is also 37? The job CCSID is what is used when you specify 0, not the system's.

The manual states:

If O_CCSID is not specified, and the file CCSID and open CCSID are
not the same, and one of them is not strictly single-byte, open()
will fail with errno set to [ECONVERT].

Since you aren't specifying O_CCSID, this COULD apply to you, but only if one of the CCSIDs is not strictly single byte. 819 is single byte. What about the codepage that corresponds to the job CCSID?

Another possibilty would be a bad prototype. (I hope not!) A bad prototype might mean that you're passing a codepage value that you don't expect to pass...

One wonders why you are using O_CODEPAGE to begin with? Does this program need to work on V4R5 or earlier?

Jon Paris wrote:
Can anyone suggest why I would get a errno value of 3490 (Conversion error) on a file open?

Here's the open:

fd = open('/Partner400/TestFile.txt'
: O_CREAT + O_WRONLY + O_TRUNC + O_CODEPAGE + O_TEXTDATA + O_TEXT_CREAT
: S_IRWXO
: 819
: 0 );

No conversion is taking place at this point and yet the full error description indicates that a character that could not be converted was found.

System CCSID is 37 and I'm attempting to open the file as 819.

File does not exist but directory does and has a code page of 819.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com