Not LR=*ON! (Unless he's coding DFTACTGRP(*YES), I suppose)

Assuming he's using an ILE activation group, and not OPM compatibility mode, the storage will remain allocated until the activation group ends. (Same as would happen with %ALLOC, except there's no way to deallocate it.) RPG uses static storage for global variables, not automatic storage.

But I agree that it's a bad idea. And not just for that reason -- you've also created code thats not reentrant. what happens if you have 3 programs in the same job calling this same "PGM2" program?

It's just a bad idea.

Charles Wilt wrote:

This is probably not a good idea. In fact, if PGM2 ends with LR=*ON,
you've got a real good possibility of corrupting memory.