Exactly

To expand on this, if you have a question about what something means, or if you are confused, put your cursor on the item and press F1 - that is how we all learn this stuff, by the way.

Another function key to use is F4 - when you put a command on a command line, press F4 - it means "prompt" and will show you a screen that you can fill in - and on each parameter, put your cursor on it and press F1 to find out what is going on.

Another one is F9 - if you are in the job log - put your cursor on a message and press F1 - you will have more information. On that screen, press F9 to find out which program sent the message, and where in your program the message went to - which line in the source - it is usually close.

Again, work through those tutorials I listed - you have this example running, although not as you expected. But the other thing is to read = read = read the reference manual. We don't have time to answer questions like "what does DSPLY do?" we have our own jobs to do. If you want to know that, go to www.iseries.ibm.com/infocenter and choose V5R4 or V6R1 - doesn't really matter - then on the left click on Programming, then find your way to RPG or ILE RPG - I forget, then find the reference manual - then look up DSPLY or whatever you are wondering about. That is ALSO how we all learn this stuff.

It would also be nice to have a name - unless you have to remain anonymous.

Regards
Vern

CRPence wrote:
New_id Y wrote:
I am working on development system . why I should change
compilation & run in bach ? What is the difference ? And what
is Replace object? I am sorry if I ask so many Questions ! It
confuses me without some clairifications .Best wishes.

F1=Help. The function key F1 provides contextual help; i.e. with the cursor located on the line of text "Replace object", press the help key and read the /help text/ for that feature. Liberal use of that function key [on the panel presented by the F18] will assist one in learning the meaning of the parameters\options across the system.

Regards, Chuck