Seems like a lot of work to avoid using data queues :)

However, if you are going to monitor for the existance of a file to trigger an event, why don't you just look for an object, like a data area. You just have to use CHKOBJ.

Albert

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Liotta" <qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Detecting that a submitted batch job is ending from w/in an RPG program.
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 15:14:22 -0700

rob wrote:

- Receive Journal Entries exit program. Wait, where is this exit program?

Rob:

RCVJRNE EXITPGM() -- it's a parameter on the command.

The command includes some selection criteria and other parameters
that should help in making the choice between the command or the
scan exit point, if those are the choices.

RCVJRNE is only going to associate an exit program with objects
related to that journal and only for as long as the command
executes. The Scan on Close exit point is associated with everything
in the root file system and all processes accessing the root file
system (more or less, and depending on configuration).

If I was simply going to monitor a known directory for streamfiles
being deposited, I'd probably start with just reading the directory
entries rather than using either RCVJRNE or the Scan on Close exit
point. I'd only look deeper if other elements brought the need.

Both journaling and scans have many additional considerations that
require thought. For basic monitoring of directory entries, thoughts
_might_ be limited to (1) does a new directory entry exist? and (2)
can I now do something with it, i.e., is anything else still busy
with it? Each loop through the directory entries gives a chance to
test end-status, BTW.

But 'basic' monitoring for existence is a relatively minor task
compared to the capabilities of each of the choices. I'd simply
suggest going with complexity that's appropriate to the requirements.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.