Rory,

Thanks for the ideas, I agree with your best method and may do it that way.
(Also, hadn't heard that 'sleep can be defined to wake up with signals...')

What I'm building is an rpg listen program to check an ifs folder
for any files in it. I'm not currently using a data queue for doing this,
I'm using the sleep api.

Only thing I've thought up myself is when I want to end the listener job/program,
drop a specifically named file into the folder, ... named 'QUIT.TXT' maybe,
Then have the listener check for that file's existence each time it polls,
and if it finds 'QUIT.TXT' file in the folder, end gracefully.

John

John,

You can use the SHTDN op-code to check for shutdown. However, that assumes
that your program wouldn't be 'sleeping' when the system tried to shut it
down - the system will only wait for a short time before just ending it...

The 'best' method would be to add code to allow you to end it gracefully
though, rather than have to 'crash' it using ENDJOB. For instance, if it's
waiting on a data queue, you could have a command which adds an entry to the
data queue with a special value ('*ENDJOB') which your NEP will recognize
and process accordingly (closing files etc.). All of my NEP's have this -
essentially, a STRxxxSVR and an ENDxxxSVR command. I have some code if you
want it.

Of course, if you're not waiting on a data queue but are simply using
sleep() or DLYJOB or something similar to control your sleeping, then that's
more complicated (sleep can be defined to wake up with signals, but I've
never tried it, and DLYJOB can't be interrupted, I think).

Rory

I have an rpg program I want to use (submit to batch) as a 'monitoring'
program.
(in old elvish, an NEP program)

Within the program, there may be files, etc. open, at any time.

Since it's a submitted job, it'll be ended from the wrkactjob screen.

Since it may be possible to end it with *IMMED or *CNTRLD, I'm worried
about cleanup (files or objects getting released).

Is there a way to monitor, within the rpg program, for 'job ending'??
The rpg program will be in a constant loop state, waking up at set
intervals to do some processing. If I can trap a 'job ending' status,
I can close out the program/job gracefully.

John B