David, Alan,

The compiler error is probably due to the missing colon in your data structures:

D DS1 LIKEREC(LFORMAT1 *INPUT)
D DS2 LIKEREC(LFORMAT2 *INPUT)

should be:

D DS1 LIKEREC(LFORMAT1: *INPUT)
D DS2 LIKEREC(LFORMAT2: *INPUT)

-mark

At 2/16/09 12:57 PM, you wrote:
What release level are you at? The new ability to pass a file to a
sub-procedure looks perfect for you. (V6R1).

The other one I could think of is why not just use an override? Have
one dummy input file overridden to the actual.

The other one I could think of is that you do not need a separate data
structure. Couldn't you declare a templete (Type defintion) in the
header and use EVAL-CORR?

d TD_FORMAT...
d e ds ExtName(LF1)
d Based(StdNulPtr)

d FileData...
d ds LikeDs(TD_Format)

FileData = GetFileData(values);

In Subprocedure

d FileData...
d ds LikeDs(TD_Format)

Chain LFILE1 DS1;

Eval-Corr FileData = DS1;

Return FileData;

This could be especially handy if you don't want all the data.

Not sure I am really answering your question.