A couple of points:
-Most likely your data files are all program described. This probably means that not all fields are defined everywhere the same, especially as to decimal places and the lengths of character fields. Many times, to make a report fit on the paper, fields in the I-specs were just truncated.
-Most likely your OCL has a lot of file deleting and recreating, a real pain for performance and it can be confusing to understand what is happening.
-Chances are that there a lot of sorts in the OCL since the use of logical files came very late in the Sys/36 life cycle.
-Because of the limitations of the hardware, many applications were written as a whole series of small programs. The implications of continuing this process can be unhappy users, and a modernized application that is not at all modernized.

Here is the algorithm I use to do this sort of conversion: Find the /smallest/ application and keep the spirit of the application, but externally define the files and look at the heaviest used parts of the application and totally rewrite those. Then, fill in the pieces from exiting code. Do not use OCL, or even try to replicate the steps in the OCL. Even if you get it right, its awful.

Repeat for each application, from smallest to most complex. (You learn enough new each time so that when you get to the heavy stuff it goes a whole lot easier.)

Good luck.

.
Mike wrote:
I was told it existed in school but was lead to believe it no longer
existed. I am now looking at some old RPG36 and OCL36 code and need to
"modernize it". Is there a tool to help convert it to RPG or RPGLE code
similar to CVTRPGSRC?