1 - Do not use QCMDEXC and DLYJOB. If you must, look at the archives for
sleep() and usleep().
2 - A far better solution than any DLYJOB is communication between the two
processes. One of the more popular ways is by the use of data queues.
This way you don't spend a lot of time tailoring the timing trying to
balance between not waiting too long or long enough. And what if the
asynchronous process has issues?
3 - An alternative is the use of the IFS api's to check for the existance
of the objects, if they are still locked (like still being written to),
etc.
4 - Another alternative is by the use of the IFS exit points. Commonly
used by the virus scanning vendors out there.

My preference would probably be: 2, 3, 1, 4.

Rob Berendt