Raymond,

I get the impression that you don't have a lot of technical experience with the System i family.
Thus, I'll keep it short and sweet. If my assumption is wrong, let me know.

Basically, IBM puts considerable (some might say too much) effort into forward compatibility to
protect the investment of its customers

Thus, A program compiled at v4r2 will run at v4r2 or anything later.

But you're not even talking about the program object but the source itself. The only issue I can
recall concerning source that compiled successfully on one release and fails to compile on a later
release involved the embedded SQL pre-compiler. Since I doubt you RPGII programs have embedded SQL
you should be fine.

Moving forward to 6.1 is a non-issue as well. Just make sure when you compile the ILE RPG program
that you leave observeability on the program. (The only reason they wouldn't have it is if you'd
manually run CHGPGM RMVOBJS(*ALL) to get rid of it)

I'm not aware of any "conversions" when going to v5r3.

For the actual RPGII --> RPG IV conversion, I'd recommend taking a look at Linoma Software's RPG
Toolbox. http://www.linomasoftware.com/products/rpgtoolbox

The price is low and it actually converts to RPG IV syntax if you want it to (replacing ADD with EVAL
for example)

As far as moving the source from one box to another, assuming you've got them connected to the same
network, you could save the source and objects to a save file and just use FTP to transfer it.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
--
Software Engineer