Vern
From: James Lampert <jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Really, most of what has been mentioned so far gives RPG little or no
advantage over COBOL or PL/I, because most of what has been mentioned so
far is stuff that existed in those languages long before it existed in PL/I.

I'm disappointed (but by no means surprised, given how many people
consider it a disadvantage that ought to be formally deprecated) that
nobody has mentioned *The Cycle* as an advantage of RPG. Yes, I know,
SQL also has the ability to implicitly apply something to an entire
file, but RPG had it before SQL existed, and besides, SQL hardly
qualifies as a procedural language.

--
James H. H. Lampert
Touchtone Corporation