Rory Hewitt wrote:
But you can't save a pointer in a data queue entry and then send it and
expect it to still work afterwards... :-(

Here's where I'm confused ... what difference does it make WHERE you store a pointer if you can transfer it to another job and have the other job be able to use it?

Put the pointer *IN* a user space: You're storing a value that happens to be a pointer in the user space. The user space doesn't KNOW it's a pointer. That has to be defined, in the program that stores & retrieves the value, that the value is a pointer.
Put the pointer in a data area: Ditto
Put the pointer in a data queue: Ditto
Put the pointer in a database field: Ditto.

My problem with all this is, if you're sending a pointer to non-shared memory (i.e., memory that was just allocated in a program, not created through a user space or shared memory api) to another job, and the other job can access the memory the pointer is referencing ... what's to stop someone from just creating a pointer independent of the other job and accessing arbitrary memory (that may, or may not, be in other jobs).

Maybe I'm not getting something ... but I sure would like to understand.

david