Note: If the SQL summary ran soon after the Read or FETCH scenario, that may skew the results, such that the SQL summary was artificially small length of time. Regardless...

If I understand the scenario described, and the resultant question, I think the typical analogy of documents in folders in a file cabinet, suffices to explain how the data on those documents could be summarized.

The SQL summarization:
Approach and open the cabinet full of folders, directly page through all the documents in each folder to summarize. Optionally the individual folders could be distributed amongst multiple people working concurrently to perform the summary of all documents in each folder.

The SQL FETCH or RPG READ with program summarization:
Have someone else approach and open the cabinet full of folders, have that person deliver all of the folders in separate trips to your desk. Sequentially summarize documents in each folder; after each is completed request the next folder, the prior folder is returned, and repeat until all folders are processed. Because any one folder may contain so many documents, many more than one trip per folder may be required.

In either case, if each folder does not already represent a GROUP, then the processing includes regrouping the documents by division into each summarization. In the latter case the person sent to get the folders must first do that collation, before returning the first folder. In the former case, collation can occur at the cabinet as well, but concurrently with summarization, rather than being completed before summarization starts.

The key difference is /data movement/. The former requires minimal, [effectively no] movement of data, except the final summarized results for each folder. The latter requires passing all of the documents somewhere else to perform the summary; depending on the requirements each document may be a copy which need not be returned or the original which must be returned to the cabinet.

Regards, Chuck

D Reaper wrote:

I have a very basic question concerning SQL. Can someone point me to information on how SQL accesses data on the iSeries? What are the underlying mechanics of the process?

Last week I was made aware of a sales related inquiry that was taking
many minutes to produce data. The purpose of the inquiry is to display sales summarized by division (12 of them). There are about 1.5 million records in the file, each record is 300 bytes long. There
are no logical files built on this physical file.

The program was written using embedded SQL with the fetch option. The
program does nothing else but load an array with summary data and then display it using a subfile after all the data is read.

For testing purposes, I also wrote a version using the RPG read option. Both of these options ran about the same time, about 9 minutes. I also tried using the RUNSQLSTM, this ran in 9 seconds.

The time differences are amazing. How does SQL process all this data in less then 9 seconds? I understand there are differences in how SQL
and RPG are implemented, but it seems a large difference.

Are there any books, papers, articles, that show how SQL access data on the iSeries? How does it work with DB2, the OS, and the hardware to deliver data?