And some people put that program in QSTRUP to make sure it gets done at
IPL time so they don't forget to run it after the next upgrade (or if IBM
ptfs a command).

That being said, be careful about V5R4. Many of the commands in V5R4 are
not true command objects anymore. Maybe this will explain it better.
First, I'll give you an IFS example. Do the following:
EDTF '/testfile.txt'
type something in it and save it.
Now do this:
ADDLNK OBJ('/testfile.txt') NEWLNK('/testfile2.txt') LNKTYPE(*SYMBOLIC)
DSPF STMF('/testfile2.txt')
See the same contents as testfile.txt? Now try:
EDTF STMF('/testfile2.txt')
and change the contents. Now do this
DSPF STMF('/testfile.txt')
See how changing the contents of testfile2.txt changed the contents of
testfile.txt?
Concept is "symbolic links", or, in the case of commands, "proxy
commands". Unlike CRTDUPOBJ it doesn't really copy the whole object. It's
more like slapping a logical file over a physical. See the command
CRTPRXCMD for Create Proxy Command.

Now, in V5R4, IBM has figured out how to do this with commands. If you do
a CHGCMDDFT on QSYS/CRTBNDRPG you are also changing the command
QDEVTOOLS/CRTBNDRPG. You may, or may not, care. However if you do a
CRTDUPOBJ of QSYS/CRTBNDRPG into your custom library, and modify that,
then do NOT assume that by qualifying the library QDEVTOOLS/CRTBNDRPG you
are then running an unadulterated version of the command because you are
not. You may be better served by doing the CRTDUPOBJ of
QDEVTOOLS/CRTBNDRPG into your custom library and modifying that.

How do I tell if a command is a link, or a real command? Well, you can
assume that the attribute column on this is significant:
Object Type Library Attribute
CRTBNDRPG *CMD QDEVTOOLS
CRTBNDRPG *CMD QSYS PRX
CRTBNDRPG *CMD QSYSV5R2M0
CRTBNDRPG *CMD QSYSV5R3M0

Or, you can do a DSPCMD QSYS/CRTBNDRPG and see the following:
Target command . . . . . . . . . . . . : CRTBNDRPG
Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : QDEVTOOLS
Text . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Create Bound RPG Program

Current proxy chain . . . . . . . . . : QSYS/CRTBNDRPG
QDEVTOOLS/CRTBNDRPG

Rob Berendt