I am amazed and finally must reply here -- FCS, my new Motorola Q has been
dancing on one leg since the topic's inception.

I have used many of the 'ILE' features of RPGIV -- modules, service
programs, binding language (which I learned TONS of with the help of
RTVBNDSRC). I agree with Mr. Pluta in that, with an inventive mind and a
solid skillset, you can accomplish pretty much anything using standard
single programs. I _have_ found it easier to use the pwer of RPG to it's
fullest using modules/prototypes/service programs etc...

I think the only way to successfully argue this point would be with design
examples, laid out next to each other, with simple program calls versus
prototypes/modules/service programs, including changes to core functions,
etc. What I run into is we have a small shop (two programmers), and rarely
(never) work on stuff together. For us, it becomes a matter of "I work
better this way", and when he retires, I dunno. But I am writing most of
the core functionality today that will be around for the duration. In these
cases, the migration to modern RPG (not the book, the concept :) ) works
more like evolution.

As far as shortage/extinction of RPG programmers, I hear things on both
sides of the table. I found a job within two months of getting laid off a
few years ago, in central CA. I may soon be seeking something in or around
Boise, ID -- wish me luck ;-)