From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Booth Martin
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 12:46 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: free-format move *USA date value to 6-digit numeric in
YMDformat

In IBMs defense, I will point out the immense size of the ship we are
driving.

IBM has maintained backward and forward compatibility in an environment
that prizes change over all else.  The MS solution has to been to write
the new code and make the old code not just obsolete, but also unusable.
   Thank goodness IBM has stuck to their values and not left us having
to rewrite core code every four years or so.

Their need to offer changes while maintaining our code base is, to my
mind, essential. The fact that they choose to spread the changes over a
few releases is a small irritant in my opinion.  The upside is that we
get to see whats coming.