From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Tony Carolla
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 11:27 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Bind by reference question

First of all, if I don't see you until then, HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!!  I have
learned volumes from this list in the past year, and I wanted to thank you
all who have helped, especially Scott, Bob, Joe, Joel, Paul, Jon, Barbara,
Birgitta, and anyone else I forgot to mention.  May the new year bring you
prosperity and peace of mind.

I have created a service program, whose purpose is to log program start/stop
times.  The service program is called within several programs, and is fed an
indicator (*ON = start, *OFF = stop).  The program gets the name of the
caller (thanks Scott for August info on this), and writes or updates a log
entry for this program in a log file.

I took the following steps in creating the service program:
 - Created the module (CRTRPGMOD)
 - Created the binder source (1 export)
 - Created the service program (CRTSRVPGM)
 - Added the service program to a binding directory

I wrote a test program to test the service program out.  In the test
program, I added the binding directory to the H-spec, included the prototype
for the service program in the D-spec, and simply called the service program
in the C-spec.  I found a small quirk in the service program's actions, so I
changed the source for the service program (the signature did not change),
recompiled the module, and deleted and re-created the service program.

So here's the problem.  After the service program re-compile, I re-ran the
test program (without re-compiling it), and the service program still
exhibited the same behavior.  Until I re-compiled the test program, which
then caused the new service program to exhibit the new behavior.  Why did I
have to re-compile the test program?  When you compile a program that calls
a service program, is a copy of the service program included in the program
object (bind by copy)?

--
"Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue..."
"In Hebrew SQL, how do you use right() and left()?..." - Random Thought