Thanks Carel.

The DS sounds like a good idea.

As far as chaining, I'm not reading the same record six times, I'm
reading six different input records to populate six fields in one output
record.

However, I think my problem is a little less advanced than I had
thought.  It seems that within the called procedure, I'm opening and
closing the file every time, so I reckon I'll change that so it opens
once then calls a cleanup routine at the end of my main program to close
them.

Greg