We're still relatively wet behind the ears with ILE here, but we're
moving forward with what we've been able to learn, and I think I may
have run into an activation group issue.

I have an RPG program which uses a procedure in a service program to
populate fields in the output file based on a key passed to the
procedure.

I may use the same procedure several times in a row to populate
different flags based on various keys, like so:

CallFlag  = S_MKIUFD_getVerticalFlag(K#Comp:HLJYNB:HLFQNQ:'CAL');

EmailFlag = S_MKIUFD_getVerticalFlag(K#Comp:HLJYNB:HLFQNQ:'EML');

FaxFlag = S_MKIUFD_getVerticalFlag(K#Comp:HLJYNB:HLFQNQ:'FAX');

HTMLFlag = S_MKIUFD_getVerticalFlag(K#Comp:HLJYNB:HLFQNQ:'HTM');

MailFlag = S_MKIUFD_getVerticalFlag(K#Comp:HLJYNB:HLFQNQ:'MAI');

RentFlag = S_MKIUFD_getVerticalFlag(K#Comp:HLJYNB:HLFQNQ:'REN');

The program seems to be running significantly longer than it used to
before I added this code.

My service program has the Activation group set to *Caller, and "Shared
Activation Group" = *No.

I've done some reading on Activation groups in the ILE Reference, but
it's made my head go wobbly.  I'm guessing maybe I should update my
service program and change the shared activation group attribute to
*Yes.

Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree, and maybe I should scrap the
service programs altogether and bind the procedures at compile time ?

Any thoughts or helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Fleming

Programmer/Analyst

Everglades Direct, Inc.