Thanks for your suggestion Mark.  Unfortunately I am already specifying
RSTDSP(*YES), and as you can see in the code below, no overlays are in use
in the DSPF of PGMB.  I did finally manage to locate a thread here circa
1998 which concluded that closing the display file in PGMB is the only
solution for the stale background problem.  I suspect this still the case.
      Thanks, -Dave

Try specifying RSTDSP(*YES) on your CRTDSPF command for the full screen
display files. And watch any record formats that have OVERLAY specified.
I've seen too many OVERLAYs foul up an application.