I did this with RPG and a window.  Here's what I came up with.

A          R ELEINQWT      030603
A*%%TS  SD  20030603  141958  RPOWER      REL-V5R2M0  5722-WDS      030603
A                                      WINDOW(8 18 3 44)      030603
A                                      LOCK      030603
A                                      FRCDTA      030603
A                                  1 15'Retrieving Names,'      030603
A                                      DSPATR(HI)      030603
A                                  2  6'Please Wait'      030603
A                                      DSPATR(HI)      030603
A            STATBAR       20   O  2 18DSPATR(HI)      030603

c                   eval      statbar = *blanks
c                   if        (innum = 0) and
c                             (inname <> *blanks)
c                   eval      statbar = %trim(statbar) + '.'
c                   eval      numstat = numstat + 1
c                   write     eleinqwt
 *                  -----     --------
c                   exsr      empl_search
 *                  ----      -----------
c                   write     eleinqti
c                   dou       *inkb
c                   seton                                        93
c                   exfmt     eleinqhd
 *                  -----     --------

in my empl_search routine, I'm actually increasing what I called a status
bar so it shows the user it's doing something.

 * get current leave names
c     inname        setll     elevempr7
c                   setoff                                       95
c                   dou       *in95
c                   read      elevempr7                              95
 *                  ----      --------                               --
c   95              iter
 *  --              ----
.... more processing in here
c                   eval      n  = n + 1
c                   eval      leavenames(n) = namenum
c                   if        numstat >= 20
c                   eval      statbar = *blanks
c                   eval      numstat = 0
c                   endif
c                   eval      statbar = %trim(statbar) + '.'
c                   eval      numstat = numstat + 1
c                   write     eleinqwt
c                   enddo

So, each loop thru it shows one more "."

Please wait .
Please wait . .
Please wait . . .
you get the picture.

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
Tel: 709-576-8132
Email: rpower@xxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://www.stjohns.ca/
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill

"Fleming, Greg \(ED\)" <GFLEMING@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
27/04/2005 11:54 AM
Please respond to

<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Processing ....please wait

I'm trying to figure out how to display a screen without requiring the
program to wait for a response.

The idea is to display "Processing...please wait" while a program is
called to process data, then returns a few seconds later with results to
display.

I found something on this topic in the archives, but unfortunately it
was only a discussion of whether it would be better to use SNDPGMMSG or
display a whole screen.  I would prefer the latter, but don't know how
to go about it.

Any suggestions ?

Greg Fleming

Programmer/Analyst