It's QCMDEXC not QCMDEXEC.  I make that mistake a lot.

There are several ways of executing a command from within RPG.  All
involve the use of API's.  Now, many people wrap these API's with
prototypes and maybe even their own subprocedures to minimize complexity
of some of the more flexible of the available api's.

You can search the api reference in infocenter, or the archives for the
following:
QCMDEXC
system()
QCAPCMD

For true flexibility QCAPCMD wins hands down.
I started out with QCMDEXC and went over to system().  After seeing how
QCMDEXC can get a little more information returned on an error condition
by evaluating the Program Status Data Structure I went back to QCMDEXC.  I
don't normally use QCAPCMD for situations where either of the other two
will work.  But for intense situations like prompting the user for a
command, have them fill in only the parameters you want them to, and then
return the command back to the rpg for further analysis or storage I'll
use QCAPCMD.  Like a menu system.

Maybe a re-evaluation on my part is in order.  Often a use of QCMDEXC
gives me a generic error code in the PSDS like CPF0006-Errors occurred in
command. and I have to use message handling api's to retrieve messages
from the joblog to determine what the real error is.  I wonder if QCAPCMD
would skip that BS and give me the message I really needed in the standard
api error message structure.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

MWalter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
04/07/2005 09:35 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: CL commands from within RPG

There isn't that I'm aware of. But the API QCMDEXEC is very easy to use.
Two parameters, the command and the command length.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

             dpalme@xxxxxxxxxx

             rpg400-l-bounces@         "RPG Group" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

             midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject

             04/07/2005 10:23          CL commands from within RPG
             AM

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

Can someone tell me if there is a simple method of calling a CL command
from
within an RPG program without having to use API's?