Now really, this should come as no great surprise.  Even in my heaviest
debates with Hans, I never said /free was bad, I simply said the lack of
a MOVE instruction or at least a %MOVE BIF would greatly reduce the
movement of legacy code to the new format, and thus leave shops with the
unpleasant choice of either having two standards or not moving to /free
at all.  Given all the benefits of /free, its rather slow uptake
(especially as compared to, say, RPG/400) is evidence that I may have
been right.

But that being said, the compiler folks have worked hard to give us
enough alternatives so that we don't "need" the MOVE instruction.  My
biggest annoyance these days is the occasional need to use %editc('X').
But since most of my arithmetic work is done using unsigned or signed
integers, the old-fashioned low-tech workaround of overlaid DS fields is
usually sufficient.  It's not particularly intuitive when reading the
code, but it's functional and that's all I need.

Joe