Great, so I write to scott asking if he knew of a way to retrieve the object
creation date for an IFS file and he says "Use Qp0lGetAttr but it's a $#@$&
of an API" and then goes and writes an article about it.  <vbg>

Well I just paid the $29 bucks to read that article at it is a bit
misleading if you don't know the background of these kinds of APIS.

Note that Scott (who is a great mind and probable has forgotten more more
about the IFS that you or I will ever know) uses the following /COPY
statement:

/copy QP0LSTDI_H

I don't know where that /COPY located as it is not listed in the article,
but then later he calls the qp0lGetAttr API as follows:

if (Qp0lGetAttr( MyPath
                : AttrList
                : buf
                : BufSize
                : SizeNeeded
                : SizeReturned
                : QP0L_FOLLOW_SYMLNK ) < 0);
The Attribute list is defined as follows:
     D AttrList        ds                  likeds(Qp0l_AttrTypes_List_t)

But where is MYPATH parameter defined? I don't see that in the article
either. MYPath is NOT a simple '/home/cozzi/myifsfile.txt' thing. It is a
data structure. That data structure is defined as follows:
     D Qlg_Path_Name_T...
     D                 DS                  Align
     D   lg_ccsid                    10I 0 Inz(37)
     D   lg_Region                    2A   Inz(*ALLX'00')
     D   lg_LangID                    3A   Inz(*ALLX'00')
     D   lg_Reserved1                 3A   Inz(*ALLX'00')
     D   lg_PathType                 10I 0 Inz(0)
     D   lg_nPathLen                 10I 0 Inz(0)
     D   lg_PathDelim                 2A   Inz('/')
     D   lg_Reserved2                10A   Inz(*ALLX'00')
     D   lg_PathName                640A   Inz(*ALLX'00')

You need to copy your file path into the lg_PathName subfield and then set
the length of lg_nPathLen to the length of that file name, as follows:
     C                   eval      lg_nPathLen = %len(%trimR(MyPath))
     C                   eval      lg_PathName = %trimR(MyPath)
I've set up the rest of the subfields for you so that should work on most
North American AS/400 installs. If not, then you need to grab the CCSID,
language ID and Country Codes.
Or as I always like so say, Use the RPG xTools procedure ifsGetCrtDate() to
easily retrieve the information you need into a nice little data structure.
All you'd have to do is the following:
       D ifsCrtDate      S               D

  eval  ifsCrtDate = ifsGetCrtDate('/home/cozzi/myfile.txt');

Or to get all the object-dates for an IFS file...
     D  ifsDates       DS                  LikeDS(IFS_fDates)
   ifsGetCrtDate('/home/cozzi/myfile.txt': ifsDates);

-Bob Cozzi