On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 15:22, Bob Cozzi wrote:
> Yes, but then the service program may not work because you recompile it and
> miss a subtle change that IBM made on the new release.

Maybe I'm missing something... if you made your own copy and then
/copy'd that, and IBM made some change that broke the program, aren't we
in the same ball park?  We are still working with copies of the
original, the only difference is the location of the copy... In this
case, the subtle change would never have been reflected (in either case)
had the module not been /copy'd.

> I recommend _only_ using /COPY and /INCLUDE for API data structures; whether
> or not you've made your own copies of the QSYSINC library.

Told ya' I'd get beat up!  :-D

> Granted the QSYSINC /COPY members are in an "I don't know RPG" syntax
> converted to RPG IV from C using a software tool, and granted the field
> names suck, and granted the data structures should use the QUALIFIED keyword
> today, and granted the integer fields should all be 10i0 instead of "B", at
> least they are updated on each release.  :)

Absolute agreement here Bob.  These DSes are _nasty_ period.

Joel
http://www.rpgnext.com