Also, note the following.  You're going to need to get the data to write
from the subfile from somewhere.

I say this because of the following quote from you in your original thread:
"I thought the REF was to reference the physical or logical file I was
pulling the data from? is that not the case?"

The REF keyword simply allows you do define a field with the same type and
size as another ( the referenced ) field.

It doesn't have any effect on data.  You are not telling the system where to
get the data by using REF.

So your RPG code should probably have an f-spec for the RECNOTES file and
your code should do something like so:

Clear subfile

read RECNOTES
Do while not %EOF(RECNOTES)