Hi Douglas

You are telling the program to display the subfile by setting on the SFLDSP
indicator, *IN51, but you haven't written any records to the subfile.  If you
don't yet have any records to write then just display the subfile control
record.  I personally use separate indicators for the SFLDSP and SFLDSPCTL
keywords, for example:

     A  51                                  SFLDSP
     A  52                                  SFLDSPCTL
     A N52                                  SFLCLR

      * ---------------------
      * R P G   S N I P P E T
      * ---------------------

      * Named Indicators...
     D IndPtr          s               *   Inz(%Addr(*IN))
     D IndAra          Ds            99    Based(IndPtr)
     D  SflDsp                51     51
     D  SflDspCtl             52     52

      * Clear the subfile...
     C                   Eval      SflDsp = *Off
     C                   Eval      SflDspCtl = *Off
     C                   Write     RecCtl

      * Write Subfile control only...
     C                   Eval      SflDsp = *Off
     C                   Eval      SflDspCtl = *On
     C                   Exfmt     RecCtl

      * Display Subfile records...
     C                   Eval      SflDsp = *On
     C                   Eval      SflDspCtl = *On
     C                   Exfmt     RecCtl

You would still need to add a section where you load the subfile record,
increasing the RRN by one as you write the record.

Hope that helps a little

All the best

Jonathan
www.astradyne-uk.com