It certainly can be done w/rpg (i've done a couple).
If this is "standard" bank cards (visa, mastercard, amex, etc)
then you would have to "certify" your programs for authorization and
settlement with whomever you choose to deal with (you have options
as to who you dial/comm with). The packages handle the standard
bank card networks and are already certified. Certification is a testing
process they take you thru, and until you pass the test, you cannot
transact live business. Your provider should supply a specs document
(may be hundreds of pages) for various types of transactions. Usually
their specs are not entirely clear. If you are dealing with private label
or something like fuel cards (lot's of fun) then coding can get hairy,
and the listed packages may or may not be certified.
The rpg is usually an async communication program.
Authorize is just verifying card #, amount, etc. Settling is a batch of
transactions
and that is what really gets booked to a card. You get paid by your
settlement batches.
The act of dial/connect/negotiate/xmit/receive/disconnect and all that can
happen
in each transaction can make for a lot of rpg & clp code to have a system
you don't have to babysit. But then if someone talks you into using a pc or
web based
product, you have similar issues keeping in sync with that product.
I would say if you've never done communication programming, then I would
look
at a purchased solution, unless you like very complex projects.
here's a link for a native solution (not affiliated)
http://www.patownsend.com/
hth
jim