Troy,

Yes, it can be done!  12 years ago I wrote such a system.  It used async
communications, and data-ques to communicate back to the green screen
programs.  This despite finding a bug in the RPG compiler at the time that
dealt with Async Com.  Sorry I don't have access to those programs anymore
or but I might be able to answer a few questions if the memory holds.  If
your going to do your own your com file can't do the translation from
EBICID to ASCII and vice versa.  I did all the translation in the program
as you have to compute check digits (in the format(s) I was using) on the
ASCII values.

The batch program was written such that it waited on an entry in a dataque
for x seconds, then looped and did it again.  I had a special trigger
record that could do shutdown of the program so as not to loose info in
transit.  If multiple entry hit the que at the same time then the program
just kept processing.  When there were no more it logged off and waited on
another dataque entry.  Part of the que entry was terminal id, job info,
etc to get the response back to the green screen that sent it and the
green screen had to have a time-out built in so as not to lock up the
session forever.  Think I also had some sort of retry so part of that key
must have been a timestamp, to compare against when response came back, so
if operator retried because of time-out, and the first entry got there, it
just ignored that one and waited again for current one (but like I said
it's been a long time).

This link will get you to an article I wrote when I was working with
Synapse Communications, Inc. and was just a year or two removed from
having written this application.  It's a free article so have at it.

http://www.synapse.com/customer/BridgingTheGap/btg299.pdf

Hope this helps!

-- Jim Lowary
ToastMaster/Salton, Inc.

message: 5
date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:31:33 +1100
from: T.Bryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: Credit Card Authorization

Gurus,
I am investigating implementing an online real-time credit card
authorization system via an AS/400 RPGILE user interface.
The information, options and advice I am getting is both overwhelming and
confusing.
Every search seems to keep pointing me to third party products;
some that must display a web page
some with crazy transaction charges,
some...
Use Net.Commerce, GO JavaCard, WebSphere Payment Mangaer,...??? Are these
current, up-to-date?

My faith in the AS/400 leads me to believe that I should be able to
implement a system that doesn't  involve a third party and runs on a green

screen.

Screen 1. Please Enter Credit Card Number/Date etc, :
_________________________ <enter>

Screen 2. Processing Authorization Request. Please Wait.

Screen 3. Approved. Yay!

Is this blind faith?

Please if anybody has some clue regarding weather this is possible, Yay or

Nay me.
Troy Bryant
Analyst Programmer
Patrick Autocare.