This sounds WAY like a job for SQL: one INSERT, one UPDATE, although I
can't quite figure out the syntax of the UPDATE statement.  It should be
something like this, although IANASE (I Am Not An SQL Expert):

Update File2
        SET File2.FieldA = File1.FieldA,
            File2.FieldB = File1.FieldB,
            File2.FieldC = File1.FieldC,
            File2.FieldD = File1.FieldD,
            File2.FieldE = File1.FieldE
FROM
        File1
WHERE
        File1.KeyField = File2.KeyField AND
        (File1.FieldA <> File2.FieldA OR
         File1.FieldB <> File2.FieldB OR
         File1.FieldC <> File2.FieldC OR
         File1.FieldD <> File2.FieldD OR
         File1.FieldE <> File2.FieldE)

On the other hand, matching records would work quite nicely as well.

Joe

> From: James R. Newman, CDP
>
> I've got a 9406-600 running V5R2 and have to run a large update job
about
> once a month.  File1 is a sequential, non-keyed PF containing about 18
> million records of updated "current" information.  File2 is a keyed PF
> "master" with 18 million+ records that will be updated from File1.
File2
> has 1 logical.  I'm reading a record in File1 and chaining to File2.
If