James,

Like Joe I think that this sounds like a job to handle with matching records. Read File1 as primary and File2 as secondary with the key field(s) as match field(s). File1 will be blocked by default; not quite sure about File2, because you will have to open it for update/add.

Although SQL might be an option, I see two problems:
- You will have to have two runs; one for update and one for insert
- I don't think it is possible with SQL to monitor the job and predict an 'estimated time of arrival'. With native access you can look into the job, see the number of records processed and decide whether to let it complete if it looks promising, or kill it if it is going to take longer than the original method.

Joep Beckeringh

James R. Newman, CDP wrote:
I also posted this on Midrange-L but after thinking about it today it's really more of an RPG question...maybe.

I've got a 9406-600 running V5R2 and have to run a large update job about once a month. File1 is a sequential, non-keyed PF containing about 18 million records of updated "current" information. File2 is a keyed PF "master" with 18 million+ records that will be updated from File1. File2 has 1 logical. I'm reading a record in File1 and chaining to File2. If no record is found, it writes to File2. If record is found, it then checks about 5 fields and if the fields are identical in both records, no update is performed. If they're not the same, the info from File2 is moved and written to File1.

A friend suggested changing some of the OVRDBF parms to help processing go faster, such as FRCRATIO and NBRRCDS. Any suggestions on how to set these parms? For that matter, any suggestions on how to speed up the update process? TIA.

James R. Newman, CDP