>From: Joe Pluta [mailto:joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>because as most architecture texts will agree, you should
>not distribute your business rules to the desktop.

No argument. However, I don't see that as being contrary to using the
iSeries as a database. All your business rules are embedded in your stored
procs (RPG/Cobol/CL/etc) and the stored procs access your actually tables.

>Because it locks me into ASP.

And coding JSP locks me into JSP. (BTW, coding RPG locks me into RPG, Cobol
locks me into Cobol, Java locks me into java, Pascal locks... You get the
point)

>I can't justify spending $1000 for a
>non-standard web development platform,

All depends on how you define "standard." Last I checked Sun hasn't
submitted Java to any standards body and Microsoft has submitted C# and CLR
to a standards committee. Oh, and you can buy the competitive upgrade from
MS for ~$500.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President