 >> my rpg program blows up on the read - no chance for the MONITOR in the
calcs.

Two simple options that allow for Monitor (TestN is a waste of time - it
doesn't always work! - you could use the numeric validation routine from
CGIDEV2 though.)

Option 1 - for V5R1+.

Program describe the file - use the option to have the Read go directly into
an externally described DS created from the database.  Wrap MONITOR round
the operations of the file fields - the explosion will only happen when the
fields are "touched" not when the record is read into the DS.

Option 2 - for V5R2+.

Same as option 1 but no need to externally describe the file.  Simply create
the DS using the LIKEREC keyword and read directly into the DS.

Voila! Problem solved.

Of course if you really like hard work you could parse the CSV file yourself
in RPG and validate the (supposedly) numeric fields as mentioned above - but
these options are real easy to implement within your current framework.

Jon Paris
Partner400
www.Partner400.com