I agree with this statement and as well as one from a previous post.

If the compiler went open-source, IBM would be less apt to make
improvements to it.  since the ILE compiler appeared, they've been
extremely agressive in advancing the language, and I can't imagine that
open-sourcing it could improve on that rate.

Add to that the politics and buracracy involved in setting up and
administering a linux style approval and certification process, it would be
years before it would be effective, allowing a true open-source
improvements standard to evolve.

rick