From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Buck Calabro
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 6:39 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: open source rpg compiler

>I am suggesting that IBM open/free source
>the compiler so that 3rd party software houses
>can enhance and sell a derived, open or
>closed source, compiler.

>With the utmost respect, I suggest that this is unrealistic.  When people
>don't use the advanced compiler (RPG IV or C or Cobol) that
>_they_already_paid_for_ it seems to prove that there really is no iSeries
>market for advanced languages.  Ask Paul Conte sometime about his RPG/free.
>I'd love to be able to see the compiler's guts, and I'd love to see IBM
>management open it up, but I don't think there's much more than curiosity
>value to be had by it.

Hi Buck,

I did not use the V5R1 RPG features, /free and qualified data stucts, for a
year or more after it was released because the shop I was working at was at
V4R5.  And now, I would like to use V5R2 RPG but cant because we are at
V5R1.

If /free supported MOVE and whatever else is missing, I think the adoption
rate would be much higher.

IBM policy >> slow adoption ?

Anyway, if IBM does not lose any revenue, I dont see any harm and a lot of
potential benefit from allowing the marketplace to decide if it has a use
for an improved RPG offshoot compiler.

-Steve