Forget the two or more files thing.

However,    Make sure it has a Subroutine/perform function so you can run a
routine from multiple places in the CL.

If I declare a File,   I want the compiler to define a variable for the
whole record (maybe a variable with same name as format).    When I change
one of the field variable names,  the Whole Format level variable should
change.  ie a data structure.  (like an externally defined DS in rpg)

So I can do this.

PGM    PARM(RECORD)

DCLF      FILEX

CHGVAR  &FORMAT   &RECORD

now I should have all the fields in FILEX (like &FLD1,  &FLD2 , &FLD3 )
should have the values of what was in the Parm coming in.

Now I can pass an externally defined D/S as a Parm  and have the CLLE break
it back up again into the individual field values.     AND I DON'T HAVE TO
HARD CODE

CHGVAR    &FLD1     %SST(RECORD   1   5)

Believe me we need this.