Paul has made an interesting point regarding extending CL to do multiple
files and more data types and I believe his point is well made when he says
that we should use the right tool for the job.  Well, for me that means
moving OS-specific work into the OS Command Language rather than embed it
inside RPG code (trying to stay on topic!)

At some basic level, there are OS specific tasks that aren't possible to do
in RPG (CRTDSPF for example).  Having the ability to perform these tasks in
a language _designed for scripting_ like CL is a necessity.  Even Windows
has a scripting language.

I believe that extending CL's ability to do subroutines and handle the newer
data types would be a significant addition to my ability to write easy
scripts to install and clean up.  Imagine the common and simple chore of
checking out a dozen source files from production to development, compiling
them and promoting the objects back to production, ensuring that one hasn't
disturbed the security scheme.  Being able to access date/time, read files
(pipes?) and act on dynamic input is crucial to this sort of task, every
part of which is OS specific.

So, I agree that we should use the right tool for the job, and I believe
that CL is indeed the right tool for some complex jobs.

  --buck