  • Subject: Re: How to convert Binary to decimal
  • From: Jon.Paris@xxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 19:27:42 -0400

 >> How do you convert a binary value to decimal in RPG400

If you have to convert 1 or 3 byte binaries then you have some "fiddling"
to do - e-mail me directly if you need that information.  If you just have
2 and 4 byte bin to convert then you do it as below.  Note that no
"conversion" is really needed - just define the field the right way and use
it directly wherever you need it.

In RPG/400 (i.e. RPG III) you code it this way but note that you cannot get
the full potential range of the binary as RPG III's B data type limits the
number of digits to 9 for a 4 byte binary and 4 for a two byte.  This may
be enough for you though.

     I            DS
     I* Change field lengths to 2 chars for two byte bin
     I                                    B   1   40BIN4
     I                                    P   5   80PKD9

     C                     MOVE BIN4      PKD9

In RPG IV you would code it this way and get the full 5/10 digits:

      * Replace 10I with 5I for two byte binary
     D Bin4Value       S             10I 0

     D Dec10Value      S             10P 0

     C                   Eval      Dec10Value = Bin4Value
      * OR
     C                   Move      Bin4Value     Dec10Value