  • Subject: RE: DSPF with SRCFILE(*NONE) Re: external *PRTF (was: RE: 'ILE RPG' or 'RPG IV' . What's the difference!!!)
  • From: "Shaw, David" <dshaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:16:22 -0400

Anton,

I don't understand everything you're saying here, so if I get it wrong,
please be gentle, okay? <grin>

Certainly if someone actually used this approach, that would be the case.
I'm not advocating this as something anyone should ever do, I'm just
pointing out that program-described display files ARE possible, so that
argument against comparing print files to display files is not as strong as
it might seem.

> - - -
> And - what about input fields in *your* example?

As written, the whole screen is effectively a big I/O field.  Anything you
type into it goes back to the program.  You'd have to set the right hex
attributes at the right locations to protect constant text and allow entry
where appropriate.  It's doable but tedious and error-prone, I would say.

> - - -
> Didn't anybody on this world - nowadays i can ask the "whole"
> world (at
> last!) - program a tool, that outputs real 5250 data stream, like i
> sometimes suggest(ed) the UPDDTA to work, as performance for
> creating the
> display formats was quite good even at earlier releases *and*
> the screens do
> behave slightly different from the ones created by a "stored"
> DFU "program".

Could you please type that a little slower <g>, I don't quite know what
you're asking here?

Dave Shaw
Spartan International, Inc.
Spartanburg, SC