  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: SV: C style assignment of variable values
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 08:29:02 -0700

*******************RANT*****************************************************
*********************
The function call used as an array index in Hans' example is the sort of
thing that has given C and C++ a bad name.  It's syntactically legal, but so
what.  C's potential for terseness gives people who are smart enough to know
better a chance to demonstrate how clever they are at others' expense.
Sometimes the cryptic expression gives a performance advantage, sometimes it
doesn't.  Especially with today's hardware, saving a clock cycle or two at
the expense of clarity isn't worth it unless you do it hundreds of thousands
of times every time the program runs.

Ahh, I feel much better now. <g>