  • Subject: Re: Intranet Question
  • From: "Joep Beckeringh" <joepb@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:52:07 +0200

Mark,

We built an internet application where (known) clients can order goods.  The
price calculation is rather complex and we did not want to duplicate it.  So
the server application (running on an NT server) writes a record to a
specially designed AS/400 file.  This file contains client-id, item-id,
number ordered, price and discount.  The server application fills client-id,
item-id and number ordered and writes the record.  The trigger program
attached to the file calls the price calculation and fills the price and
discount.  The server application rereads the record and has the price and
discount.  Works great and takes no noticeable time (I saw the programmer
who built the server program enter values in a grid layout and the prices
changed as soon as he changed values).

Calling the trigger is part of writing the record, so if your application
gets to the statement after the write, the trigger has already been called.
So there is no need for a delay.

Joep Beckeringh