  • Subject: Intranet Question
  • From: "Allen, Mark" <ALLENMA1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:20:13 -0700

We are in the process of bringing up our first (for this site) intranet
application.  We have it getting data from the AS/400 already.  However,
this application expands on a current green-screen 300 based module.  We
would like to populate the existing AS/400 database for this module with the
data from the intranet application.  There are basically only 2 green screen
programs where data can be entered/changed in the existing AS/400 database.
Would like thoughts/comments/concerns/ideas from anyone who has already been
down this road.

        These 2 green screen program do "lots" of edit checking/verification
that we do not want to replicate in the intranet application.  The direction
we were thinking of taking was:

                1.      Data is entered in intranet application and a record
is written to the AS/400 to a new WORK file and waits for a
pre-set         time (say 5 seconds???).
                2.      A trigger (on ADD record only) is attached to this
new WORK file.
                3.      That trigger program does the editing (basically
takes the existing edit program and instead of screen input, reads
from file)
                4.      If edit passes, 400 database is updated, record
updated in the new WORK file with a status field = GOOD.
5.      If edit fails, no update to 400 database is done, record in new WORK
file with a status field = BAD and an error                     desctiption
field describing what edit failed.
                6.      Intranet application after waiting pre-set time,
reads the record it wrote to the new WORK file and does the
following:

                        A.  If Status is GOOD updates/writes to the intranet
applications database and deletes the new WORK file record
                        B.  If Status is BAD, redisplays intranet screen to
user with the error description field and deletes the new WORK
file record
                        C.  If Status is blank (meaning 400 has not
processed) it the intranet application gives message to the user that it
was unable to update the 400 database at this time, leaving the record in
the work file, so it can be updated later                       (haven't
figured this part out yet, maybe have a program in nightly processing that
reads thru any records left in                  the new WORK file with
status = blank).

A couple of reasons we want to keep populating the 400 database.  Other
facilities access these files and there are a number of 400 based
reports/queries against this database.

Mark Allen
MIS Manager
Mattel-Murray