  • Subject: Re: CF-Spec - another call for opinions
  • From: "End of the Trail" <endofthetrail@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 01:37:27 -0500

John Carr's statement: >I would suspect that the reality that you are living
under has a strong
possiblity of being a minority representation of the market at large.< about
James W. Kilgore's words:
>>Around here, if they don't listen, they get fired. Period. One is hired to
perform a job.  Sometimes that job has rules.  If you don't play by the
rules ,,, your outta here!   Standards exist on the strength of the
manager's backbone<<

As a consultant, I must play by the rules of the client.  If there are no
standards, and the shop has any size at all, it can NOT be maintained.  It
is hard enough to follow someone's thought processes without them trying to
be cute.  Naming, process control, storage/libraries, etc... with standards
makes it quicker and easier than a shop with a little of this and that
spread out all over the place.  That's the idea's behind IC (information
control), if not then we should all keep our own data bases on our own
machines and the heck with business.

I like the comment I read earlier and wish I had it to quote.  It was a
manager's banner or pledge in his/her shop.  It said something along the
lines as to a problem can be brought up/mentioned/cussed-discussed ONCE;
solutions are unlimited.

david@midrange.com