  • Subject: Re: Named Indicators...
  • From: "End of the Trail" <endofthetrail@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:29:05 -0500

>When I was on my RPG course, they discouraged the use of the INKx
indicators, but I can't remember why?

Because they most likely came from the S38 world and did not understand or
use them.  I was taught otherwise, when coding RPG II ( before structure if,
select, do, etc...) you used indicators everywhere.  S38ers use 01-24 for
cmd keys, S36er used 1-10 for record indicators.  When coding RPGII and
using the cycle, indicators (prior to Excmpt) controlled your output,
compares, chains, most everything.  A program with any size used a bunch,
many were reused, a good coder developed a system so as to keep them
straight, 1-10 input records, 20-29 output, 30-39 comp, 40-49 screen fields,
80-89 error messages, 90-99 work or temp(reusable) etc...  Often documented
in the H spec were the Indicator Usage or method to their madness.  The K?s
were there from the S32 and were self-explainatory. (There was a good
explaination earlier about the evolution of the K? indictors)  If you see a
K?, it came from a key/screen.  They were handled (on/off) by the system and
were not often used elsewhere (comp, chain, etc...)

From: Gwecnal@aol.com : They are clear, universal, never conflict with other
indicators, and are always free to use.  The nice thing is that virtually
every RPG programmer understands these indicators thoroughly and never needs
to be brought up to speed.

I recall my transition into a S38 shop on the 400.  It took my a long time
to find out how IN03 was coming on, I checked and double checked the source,
the I specs, everywhere...  It seem to appear out of nowhere, then I found
out about redirect or assigning Indicators in the DDS.   I may have felt or
seemed foolish, but turn around is fair play.  They had to ask me about the
K?s when nativizing S36.  Prior to the AS400, the oil(s36) and water(s38)
wars roared.  After a few years, I thought, they were over.  A united force
against a NEW foe, the PC Network and those no logic, data manipulators with
their Reboot and Reload if it don't work ideas.

It seems according to Midrange computing Survey, the AS400 programer is all
but dead and gone.  They show that about 50% are 40 to 50 years old and only
about 10% are youngster that are up and coming.  As a matter of Fact, my
understanding only, until the push for coder, by the Y2K scare, most schools
quit teaching RPG.  I am in between, I started young on the S34 some S32,
but am still below the 40 mark.  I plan on staying in the business,
therefore, I have got to come to speed with the Network world.

I am stepping of the soap box now!  (that is most likly to old of a
statement also, the youngin' won't understand about a soap box).

Eurrat