  • Subject: Re: RPG IV debugger
  • From: dhandy@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Handy)
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 01:37:10 GMT

Rick,

> I do the same thing on a file I/O to avoid a million F10's

Maybe you aren't aware that IBM addressed this starting with V4R3 and
PTF'd it back as far as V3R2 and V3R6.

If you add H-spec keyword   Option( *NoDebugIO )   it will keep the
debugger from stopping on each field as it is moved from the buffer to
the field location.

Also, the same PTF's add support for Option( *SrcStmt ) which causes
messages to refer to the source statement number instead of the
compiler listing number.  This also is helpful during StrDbg.

I routinely add both to all my programs by specifying:

     H  Option( *SrcStmt: *NoDebugIO )

One caveat though: the PTF's add the support to the compiler but not
to the SEU syntax checking.  Therefore SEU will complain when you
enter the statement, even after the PTF's are applied.  Ignore the
error and compile it anyway.

Here are the original PTF numbers for the various releases:

         Compiler (product 57xxRG1) | Runtime (product 57xxSS1)
 V3R2    SF46001                    | SF45788
 V3R6    SF45749                    | SF45430
 V3R7    SF46327                    | SF46321
 V4R1    (use V3R7 compiler + PTF)  | SF46462
 V4R2    SF45191                    | SF45189

Enjoy.