I can't speak for Jon. But I also think the unibody Macbook Pros are
very well engineered. If you think your Dell is more solid, then
perhaps you are comparing to a plain Macbook instead of a Macbook Pro.

I'll have to play with my father-in-law's Macbook Pro when I see him over
the holidays. Even within the PC world there are quality machines and
low-quality, cheap imports. My point is that both Mac and PC's run Intel
processors and the hardware is functionally the same. Software and the
operating system can make the hardware do virtually anything. I'm not
bashing the Mac and OSX. It's a quality system but you do pay more for it
than a Windows-based PC. Is it worth the premium? Not for me but you may
find it more to your liking. If so, that's great.

Although you can't get a supported environment doing this. OSX
license terms explicitly prohibit running OSX on anything but an
"Apple branded" computer even if you purchase a retail version of OSX.

Yes it does. Inside the case is an apple sticker. If a person sticks
that on their PC does that make it "Apple branded"? Maybe yes, maybe no.
Functionally, it works just like Windows on a Mac. Apple has chosen to
restrict it. I'm glad that Microsoft is more open-minded about the use of
their OS.

FWIW, they can be purchased separately at $14.99 while iLife is $49
USD. Lion OSX itself is $29.99 USD. So even if you need iLife, a
copy of it plus Lion OSX is still cheaper than any Windows upgrade.

Maybe, if you're upgrading the OS of a Mac you already own. That doesn't
seem to be the case when you buy a new Mac with the OS. My point is that
it's the same basic hardware that a PC has--an Intel processor, the same
memory sticks, the same hard drive, the same type of optical drive, and
the same USB ports. All of this costs more for a new Mac than a new PC.
It's a well made product. I can buy Microsoft Office, Adobe CS5, etc. for
either platform and they are functionally the same. If you like a the Mac
OS and appreciate their service over the phone, at Apple stores, and other
retail outlets then those are good reasons to go with a Mac that might
justify the price. From strictly a hardware perspective, the hardware is
not any more special than that of a PC.

Dave Parnin