Joe Pluta wrote:

Buck wrote:
I've seen odd things happen by bumping just the frequency.

However, there's also no guarantee that the exact same thing you described above wouldn't happen with a chip at its nominal frequency.

That's true, but I can return the CPU that fails at nominal frequency and swap it for one that works.

There's nothing about changing the bus frequency to a number greater than that printed on the chip's box that causes bad things to happen to the chip.

Bad is a funny word. No, one is not likely at all to damage the chip by bumping the frequency, but internal timing (cache that doesn't reliably answer with a shortened cycle time, etc.) can cause the software to not run reliably. It's the whole system that we're talking about, really.

There aren't many of us left who write x86 assembly code anymore, and a darned sight fewer who own an oscilloscope that runs at a high enough speed to watch the signals on the pins. My Tek 475 is marginal, at best. :-) The point is that while the CPU might overclock in isolation happily enough, the rest of the system as a whole might not. Most PC users are interested in running some application, and if they can't until they dial the frequency back down then we can reasonably say that the system has failed at the overclocked speed.

Not damaged, but not operational, either.